14.9 C
Munich
Friday, June 14, 2024

James Harden Lives up to Hype in Philadelphia Debut as 76ers rout Minnesota Timberwolves

Must read

LOS ANGELES — Paul George‘s torn ligament in his shooting elbow is “feeling better” and progressing, but the LA Clippers star guard will “need more time” to recover, according to coach Ty Lue.

George underwent an MRI on the torn ulnar collateral ligament in his right elbow on Friday. Lue said George is progressing but he remains unsure if his star guard can return this season.

“Just that he feels better, he’s making progress,” Lue said of an update on George before the Clippers played the Lakers. “But he’s gonna need more time.”

“Just know he’s feeling better. And that’s the most important thing. And he’s gonna need a little bit more time.”

George initially suffered a sprained elbow against the Portland Trail Blazers on Dec. 6. He rested and rehabbed it for two weeks, missing five games. He felt better and returned to play in two games, but after feeling pain in the elbow, he underwent an MRI, and the Clippers revealed on Dec. 25 that he had a torn UCL in his shooting elbow.

George has been working out but had been seen shooting left-handed prior to the All-Star break.

The Clippers are fighting for a playoff spot without their two stars. Kawhi Leonard has been out all season and is rehabbing a torn ACL suffered in Game 4 of the Clippers’ second-round series against the Utah Jazz on June 14. Leonard continues to work his way back.

Also, the Clippers lost guard Norman Powell to a fractured bone in his left foot after he played in just three games following a trade from Portland.

When asked if there is still a chance for George to return this season, Lue replied, “not sure.”

“I mean the biggest thing is he’s feeling better,” Lue said. “And he’s making progress, the MRI revealed, and we just gotta go from there.”

“Every competitor wants to play,” Lue later added when asked if George is bummed about needing more time. “And so I’m bummed out, too. [But] hope is stronger than fear.”

Souces: LeBron James’ agent meets with Los Angeles Lakers, denies any push to shake up front office

play

Kendrick Perkins explains why he doesn’t see the Lakers making it past the first round of the playoffs this season. (1:11)

In the aftermath of LeBron James‘ public comments on a possible return to Cleveland and media reports describing his agency’s displeasure with the organization, Klutch Sports CEO Rich Paul met with Lakers owner Jeanie Buss and general manager Rob Pelinka on Tuesday, insisting that there’s no movement underway to seek management changes and that he believes there’s a shared accountability for the franchise’s disappointing season, sources told ESPN.

Paul — whose agency represents stars LeBron James and Anthony Davis — made it clear that James’ primary objective is remaining a Laker and the goal now ought to be to finish the season as strong as possible and then regroup in the offseason and work on ways to improve the team, sources said.

After Pelinka resisted making any deals at the trade deadline, James’ own public comments — raising the possibility of a return to Cleveland and praising Oklahoma City Thunder GM Sam Presti — started to fuel speculation that he could leave in free agency in 2023.

Paul has privately downplayed that possibility, and told the Lakers that James is committed to playing his part in helping the Lakers become championship contenders again, sources said.

The Lakers dropped to 27-32 with Friday’s loss to the Clippers, ninth in the Western Conference and playing without Davis for what sources told ESPN are likely another four to five weeks with a right mid-foot sprain. The Lakers believe they’ll have the expiring contract of guard Russell Westbrook ($47.1 million), Talen Horton-Tucker and first-round picks in 2027 and 2029 to use in trades.

New York Knicks’ Derrick Rose out 1-2 weeks, sources say, after minor procedure to address skin infection in ankle

play

Adrian Wojnarowski reports on Knicks guard Derrick Rose missing additional time after suffering a setback in his recovery from a right ankle injury. (0:51)

NEW YORK — Derrick Rose had another procedure on his right ankle Friday, this time to address a skin infection just as it appeared he was close to returning to the New York Knicks.

The Knicks did not give a timetable for Rose’s return, but sources told ESPN’s Adrian Wojnarowski there’s optimism he can rejoin the lineup in one to two weeks.

The 33-year-old point guard, who hasn’t played since suffering the injury against the Houston Rockets on Dec. 16, had recently begun practicing fully after he had surgery on the ankle to remove a bone spur on Dec. 22.

The procedure Rose had on Friday was to address an infection in the area where the December surgery had been done.

Knicks coach Tom Thibodeau said Rose wasn’t in pain but was feeling discomfort.

“He actually went through practice pretty well,” Thibodeau said. “So, just one of those things.”

Thibodeau said he had no details other than the procedure had gone well.

Thibodeau also said he didn’t believe Rose’s absence would change anything with Kemba Walker‘s status after it was decided this week he would be shut down for the season. Alec Burks and Immanuel Quickley were the point guards available for Friday against Miami, with rookie Miles McBride a possibility going forward.

Rose helped jump-start the Knicks last season after arriving in a midseason trade, finishing third in voting for the Sixth Man Award.

The Knicks have struggled to find consistency at point guard without him. He had been New York’s strongest attacker of the rim, shooting 53% on drives for a team ranked 27th in field goal percentage at 43.4%, according to ESPN Stats & Information research.

New York fell to 25-35 with Friday’s 115-100 loss to the Heat. They’re in 12th place in the East, 3½ games behind the Atlanta Hawks for 10th and the final play-in spot in the conference.

- Advertisement -spot_img

More articles

- Advertisement -spot_img

Latest article